Established in 1868, Antioch A.M.E. was the first church founded by African Americans in Decatur, Georgia, following the Civil War. Despite the church’s importance to the history of Decatur and Stone Mountain, where it now operates, its history has yet to be fully captured. In an effort to preserve the church’s rich past, church members are partnering with Georgia Humanities, the Center for Public History at the University of West Georga (UWG), and Agnes Scott College to offer a History Day on Saturday, July 16, 2016, from 8:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. The event is free and open to the public.
The day’s programming will also offer an opportunity to learn how to research and preserve history for anyone interested. We hope it can serve as a model for other churches or small institutions that would like to save and share their past.
The day’s schedule is as follows:
9-1: an ongoing History Harvest, in which members and others with a connection to the church are encouraged to bring photographs and documents related to the church’s history to be scanned. These scanned documents will be housed in a digital archive dedicated to the church’s history and hosted by the Center for Public History, UWG.
9-10:15: workshop on African American genealogy led by Elyse Hill, independent genealogist
10:30-11:30: workshop on preserving family photographs, documents, and heirlooms led by Blynne Olivieri, Director of University of West Georgia Special Collections
1-2:00: talk by Prof. Larry Rivers on the history of the A.M.E. church, with a focus on Antioch’s history
Please join us to celebrate the church’s past and to learn more about your own! RSVP at Eventbrite– http://antiochhistoryday.eventbrite.com–or by calling 678-893-6141.
Contact Julia Brock or Tigner Rand for more information or with any questions.
Julia Brock: (678) 893-6141; email@example.com
Tigner Rand: firstname.lastname@example.org