Antioch A.M.E. Digital Archive

The History of Antioch A.M.E. Church, 1957 July 14

SC001.jpg
SC002.jpg

Dublin Core

Title

The History of Antioch A.M.E. Church, 1957 July 14

Subject

African American Episcopal Church -- History
African American churches--History--19th century
African American churches--History--20th century
Decatur (Ga.)--Church history--20th century
African American churches--History

Description

In this handwritten account, Lena Harper tells the history of Antioch A.M.E. Church as of July 14, 1957. Harper writes that Antioch A.M.E. Church began in 1868. at the end of the Civil War and beginning of Reconstruction in the South. With no building to worship in, the first church members met in Sister Louise Bratcher's home until 1874 when the church raised $400 at the first rally. They were able to build a one room building in Decatur, Ga. where Rev. William Stancil was the first residential pastor.

Creator

Lena Harper

Source

Sylvia Clarke Collection

Publisher

Stone Mountain, Ga. : Antioch A.M.E. Church

Date

1957-07-14

Contributor

Julia Brock

Rights

Copyright of digital items is held by the Antioch A.M.E. Church. This site and its collections are for research and educational purposes only. All queries about reproduction in digital or physical form must be directed to the site administrator.

Format

image/jpeg

Language

eng

Type

Handwritten account

Identifier

SC001, SC002

Coverage

Decatur, Georgia

Text Item Type Metadata

Original Format

Paper

Files

SC001.jpg
SC002.jpg

Tags

Citation

Lena Harper, “The History of Antioch A.M.E. Church, 1957 July 14,” Antioch A.M.E. Digital Archive, accessed October 19, 2019, http://antiochamehistory.org/archive/items/show/14.

Comments