Antioch A.M.E. Church was founded in Decatur, Georgia, just after the Civil War (1868). It remained a focal point of life in Decatur's Beacon Hill neighborhood until 1996, when the church left Decatur for Stone Mountain.
The Antioch A.M.E. Digital Archive is a repository of materials related to Antioch's history, and span the beginning of its life to the present day. Most items and collections in the archive have been scanned from the private collections of past and present members of the church.
Credits: This site would not be possible without the support of the church and the generosity of Antioch members, past and present, who donated digital scans of their personal collections.
The planning committee for the Antioch A.M.E. History Project, which oversaw the creation of the site, included Elayne Washington Hunter, Tigner Rand, and Calvin Washington, all members of Antioch; Robin Morris, assistant professor of history at Agnes Scott College; and Julia Brock, assistant professor of history and co-director of the Center for Public History at the University of West Georgia.
University of West Georgia public history students Hannah Givens, Jennah Marston, and Heather Rodriguez gave their time in support of scanning items and building the archive. Jackie Cain, a student at the University of Evansville but Center for Public History volunteer in the summer of 2016, generously gave her time in the same way.
Blynne Olivieri, director of Special Collections at the University of West Georgia, advised in the creation of metadata for items within the site, though any mistakes are the fault of Julia Brock, the primary site manager.